Re: Observations on working with Octave C++ code

From: Søren Hauberg
Subject: Re: Observations on working with Octave C++ code
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 06:19:20 +0200

On Jul 29, 2012, at 7:51 PM, Daniel J Sebald wrote:

> Some observations of working with Octave C++ code...
>
> 1) I came across the "doxygen documentation", e.g.,
>
> http://octave.sourceforge.net/doxygen/html/classchar_matrix.html
>
> It is a nice summary of the classes and member functions, including a
> graphical hierarchy of parents and children classes along with fast links to
> other classes and member definitions.  I found this to be hugely helpful in
> speeding up the time it takes to understand Octave innards without having to
> hunt and peck for definitions in the actual source files.  (Why this
> documentation falls under Octave-Forge, I'm not exactly sure.  I mean,
> Octave-Forge uses Octave and doesn't concern itself with the insides of core
> Octave.  And how this documentation is/was generated, I'm not sure either.)

I agree, the doxygen stuff is nice. I put it o Octave-Forge quite some years
ago as there was no agreement if it was a good idea to have this or not; the
main argument (as I remember) was that having it on the Octave web site might
be interpreted as the C++ API was in a more stable state than it really is.

To actually generate this documentation, look for the 'Doxygen' file in the
Octave-Forge repository.

Søren