Re: update: cross compiling Octave for MinGW systems

From: nitnit
Subject: Re: update: cross compiling Octave for MinGW systems
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 22:42:24 -0800 (PST)

I am a window user of Octave and very interested in this work.

After Benjamin Lindner has quit maintaining his MinGW octave distribution
and before Michael Goffioul has resumed distributing his MSVC based
distribution, I had no other choice but to build Octave by myself on
windows. I did it using Tatsuro's pre-built libraries, published the
binaries on OF and I hope that it helps some windows octave users.

I am sorry I couldn't try your mxe work since I do not have or use any linux
system. However, I can help testing binaries or trying your mxe work if it
will be modified to work on a native mingw windows system.

Recently, I have updated my MinGW environment to gcc-4.7.2, and I am now
trying to re-build octave and all its dependencies. I am doing it in my
spare time and I getting progress.

John W. Eaton wrote
>   HDF5:  I have not yet found a way to build the HDF5 libraries for
>          MinGW, and they seemed to have dropped support recently.

I could successfully build hdf5-1.8.10 on my MinGW(w32)/gcc-4.7.2 system
(after building and installing zlib) by manually adding the following two
defines to the src/H5pubconf.h (after it has been built by configure):

#define H5_HAVE_WIN32_API 1
#define H5_HAVE_MINGW 1

Regards
Nitzan