Re: locales support in sscanf. Bug 35364

From: Andreas Weber
Subject: Re: locales support in sscanf. Bug 35364
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2012 17:58:02 +0100

Am 17.12.2012 19:00, schrieb Schirmacher, Rolf:
> We should be very careful with locale support... living in Germany with a
> comma as decimal point it is very confusing with locale - aware numerical
> inputs.
> The key issue is data transfer, as Pascal wrote. A classical issue is copy &
> paste or csv data - you always have to consider any kind of side effects. On
> the other side, I would not like to see octave (and its scripts!) to require
> changes in the decimal point - I guess, we would get endless errors (at least
> at the beginning). Designating the locale at the beginning of every *.m-file
> is also probably not the best solution, is it?
> So, it really boils down to data exchange with "locale-aware" software - csv,
> spreadsheets, copy&paste at the gui. We should probably try to contain it to
> this area, not to affect our language, the command prompt, etc. in general.

I live also in germany and I know the problems with decimal separators
but when I have to convert CSV Data I write a little awk, sed or tr
script for this purpose.

I really don't want to complicate things in octave and until now there
is only locale support in sscanf. And I don't think anyone want to make
all string to number and vice versa using the locales.

So please consider to remove the changeset which introduced locales.

Regards, Andy