Re: building on OSX with gcc 4.7 and macports dependencies

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: building on OSX with gcc 4.7 and macports dependencies
Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2013 08:33:00 -0500

On Mar 4, 2013, at 5:35 AM, c. wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Building the default branch of the development sources fails for me with the
> following
> error:

> /opt/local/bin/sed -e "" <
> ../../../octave/liboctave/cruft/slatec-fn/derfc.in.f > slatec-fn/derfc.f-t
> /bin/sh: slatec-fn/derfc.f-t: No such file or directory
> make[4]: *** [slatec-fn/derfc.f] Error 1
> mkdir: slatec-fn: File exists
> make[3]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make: *** [all] Error 2
>
> I am using gcc 4.7 compilers and macports built dependencies on OSX 10.8.
> Maybe this is related to recent changes to substitution patterns?
>
> The version of sed I have is:

> $ /opt/local/bin/sed --version
> /opt/local/bin/sed (GNU sed) 4.2.2
> License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>.
> There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.
>
> Written by Jay Fenlason, Tom Lord, Ken Pizzini,
> and Paolo Bonzini.
> GNU sed home page: <http://www.gnu.org/software/sed/>.
> General help using GNU software: <http://www.gnu.org/gethelp/>.
> E-mail bug reports to: <address@hidden>.
> Be sure to include the word ``sed'' somewhere in the ``Subject:'' field.
>
> Any idea how I could debug this?
>
> c.'

I'm not having any problem with gcc 4.5 on MacOS X (also using macports).  I'm
also using GNU sed 4.2.2, but mine is called "gsed"

$ gsed --version
gsed (GNU sed) 4.2.2
License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>.

I tested the command that is failing for you.

$ /opt/local/bin/gsed -e "" < derfc.in.f > derfc.f-t
$ ls -l derfc.f-t
-rw-r--r--  1 bpabbott  staff  13007 Mar  4 08:28 derfc.f-t

I also tried using Apple's sed.  They gave identical results.

Sorry I'm  not much help.  Any idea where your "/opt/local/bin/sed" came from?
Which Macports port?  or is it a symbolic link?

Ben