Re: Desired behavior for bug #38485: using 'run history' twice

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: Desired behavior for bug #38485: using 'run history' twice
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2013 21:48:11 -0600

On 03/08/2013 07:16 PM, Sander van Rijn wrote:

Fri 08 Mar 2013 06:00:09 AM CET, *original submission:*
<https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?38485#comment0>

Using 'run history' twice in a row leads to a segfault. The first
invocation runs the previous command, whatever it was. The second
invocation executes the previous command which is 'run history' and an
infinite loop is generated. This isn't a common occurrence, but it isn't
great behavior by the interpreter either.

Sample Code:

        disp (1); run history run history

What would be the desired behavior in this case? An error about causing
an infinite loop or a recursive implementation which would make second
'run history' in the sample code also execute 'disp (1);' ?

I can't replicate this problem. What is "run history" supposed to do? For help I'm seeing:

 -- Command:  run SCRIPT
 -- Function File:  run (SCRIPT)
     Run scripts in the current workspace that are not necessarily on
     the path.  If SCRIPT is the script to run, including its path, then
     `run' changes the directory to the directory where SCRIPT is
     found.  `run' then executes the script, and returns to the original
     directory.

The above isn't the best description. I think what is meant is a script file. So the argument is expecting a file name. But "history" is not a file name.

octave:21> run history
octave:22> run history
octave:23> disp(1); run history; run history
 1

Instead something like

octave:29> run 'foo.cc'

seems to run the scripts inside 'foo.cc'.

Dan