Re: GUI no longer building by default

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: GUI no longer building by default
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2013 16:50:22 -0500

On 03/16/2013 04:23 PM, Mike Miller wrote:
On Sat, Mar 16, 2013 at 4:17 PM, Daniel J Sebald wrote:
Right now the configure script checks utilities individual, which allows a
sort of mix and match scenario.  It might be better to have a sort of double
loop which first checks for all required utilities with the "qt5" suffix,
then all utilities with the "qt4" extension, then no extension.  But...

I like that idea. On my system (Debian) rcc is the exception that does
not have a "-qt4" suffix. You'd have to look for all tools with the
same suffix, and then if you found some but not all look for the rest
with no suffix.

It would probably be easiest just to create three lists as follows:

moc-qt5 uic-qt5 rcc lrelease-qt5

moc-qt4 uic-qt4 rcc lrelease-qt4

moc uic rcc lrelease

and checking if the first group is all present, if not then the check if the second group is all present, if not then check if the third group is all present. If one desired, that could be placed within a second loop and instead replace{} in moc{} uic{} rcc lrelease{} with '-qt5', 'qt4' then '', but that might be more challenging than it is worth.

On my version of Fedora is a package called "Development files for the Qt
toolkit" having several utilities with no suffix, and then these with
suffix:

/usr/bin/designer-qt4
/usr/bin/linguist-qt4
/usr/bin/lrelease-qt4
/usr/bin/lupdate-qt4
/usr/bin/moc-qt4
/usr/bin/qmake-qt4
/usr/bin/uic-qt4

All required utilities are bundled in that one package.  So it seems that
unless one is building from scratch, there is low probability of mixing and
matching.  I think the current setup is fine, at least for the moment.

Actually it is likely if you have a distribution that provides both Qt
3 and Qt 4 co-installed. On Fedora if you install qt3-devel, which is
labeled "Development files for the Qt 3 GUI toolkit", you will have
/usr/lib/qt-3.3/bin added to your PATH, which contains moc, qmake, and
uic.

See https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?37101

OK, I've looked in the qt3-devel-3.3.8b-37.fc14 patch and see all the files without a "qt4" or "qt5" suffix.

I don't know what Qt developers were thinking other than perhaps major reworks associated with changes in ownership. That software has been acquired a couple times or more now.

Dan