Re: core, matlab, & OF name conflicts [Was: strsplit needs an update]

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: core, matlab, & OF name conflicts [Was: strsplit needs an update]
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2013 11:09:29 -0400

On 03/31/2013 11:04 AM, Ben Abbott wrote:
On Mar 31, 2013, at 10:54 AM, Richard Crozier wrote:

Isn't the real issue here a lack of namespaces? With the new classdef branch I
believe the Matlab 'package' structure (adding + to the start of directories to
sort-of make them into a namespace) is being implemented. Perhaps forge
packages could start using this? Otherwise it will just keep happening.
Alternatively, a superior namespace scheme could be implemented in Octave (just
like that you know, it's easy isn't it? ;-) ).

Richard

That is a much better solution!

http://www.mathworks.com/help/matlab/matlab_oop/scoping-classes-with-packages.html

Yes, using packages would be better than prefixes, but don't we still have the problem of conflicting package names? Presumably, TMW will eventually put things like their control toolbox inside a package called control, at which point we will have to do the same to allow for compatibility with code that expects the package prefix on function calls to work.