Re: slow input

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: slow input
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2013 17:36:56 -0500

On 04/02/2013 05:19 PM, John W. Eaton wrote:
On 04/02/2013 06:09 PM, Daniel J Sebald wrote:

Sure enough. I wonder how that has gone unnoticed by so many people.

No one really cares about blinking the cursor to match parens? I'm sure
it seemed like a cool feature at the time.

It's a nice feature in an editor.  At the command line though, don't know.

Anyway, it is definitely the blinking match parens that is slowing things down. That is exactly how the GUI terminal behaves, and I can actually see the cursor bouncing back and forth now that I understand what I'm looking at.

So is the issue here then that the GUI is using a terminal emulation that has the blinking match parens on by default? And the CLI version behaves according to the bug you've noticed. It seems to be that blinking match parens randomly works at the shell, most of the time having been off whenever I've used Octave over the past couple years?

I suppose Rik's OS update has the bug removed so now his terminal works the way it was supposed to. We all should have had

set blink-matching-paren off

in our .inputrc?

Dan