Re: GUI won't build with older QScintilla

From: Torsten
Subject: Re: GUI won't build with older QScintilla
Date: Sat, 06 Apr 2013 10:35:28 +0200

On 05.04.2013 22:18, John W. Eaton wrote:
> On 04/05/2013 03:58 PM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
>
>> However, are you sure you like the overall direction of this patch?
>> I'm not opposed to using newer features of QScintilla, and you don't
>> need to duplicate the QsciLexerOctave class in Octave. The
>> duplication, if that's what it is, seems very small, so perhaps it's
>> ok.
>
> It would be OK to make it so that the feature is just not available
> unless you have a newer version of QScintilla.  I think that would be
> better than trying to duplicate the missing feature.

It is not really a duplicate but just configuring the general
Qscintilla-lexer-interface to work like the octave lexer. AFAIK the
underlying Scintilla provides an octave lexer for a long time even if
the interface of Qscintilla was not available. I would like to keep this
solution because the alternative would be to disable the lexer for older
version which is a notably loss of functionality.

The second issue (setFirstVisibleLine ()) is needed for centering the
actual line of the editor file (used for debugging and the goto line
action). This can be dropped if the related version (2.5) is not
available. We already have a check for version 2.6 in
OCTAVE_CHECK_FUNC_FINDFIRST_MODERN. I am not sure whether another test
should be added or if that existent test could be used (unnecessarily
disabling the feature for versions between 2.5 and 2.6).

Torsten