Re: workspace viewer layout

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: workspace viewer layout
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2013 18:54:53 -0500

On 04/08/2013 11:27 AM, John W. Eaton wrote:

Wile modifying the workspace connection/model/viewer, it occurred to
me that it does not add much to have the separate collapsible lists
for local, global, and persistent variables.

The viewer is almost always displaying info for the top-level symbol
table which can't have persistent values and probably rarely has many
global values. It seems to me that it would make more sense to add a
separate column to indicate global status.

Would it be difficult to make the workspace view use a table instead
of the tree view thing? I looked at it, but I'm not familiar enough
with the Qt model classes and it wasn't obvious to me how to do it.
Some help with this job would be much appreciated.

Not speaking about the layout, I think something has been lost here. The old code would correctly display the "argn" inside of a function, now it just shows ...

The behavior of the Workspace isn't quite what it should be. I suggest some color coding of the row background color as a nice feature. My thought on a GUI is that it needs to bring something that enhances and improves on CLI capabilities. For example, the right mouse click "plot", "stem", sort of thing is kind of nice. It could be more. I think what I'd like is a right click inside the editor that will open a window with the help text in it. Something that could be left on the screen while editing text.

Well, back to Workspace. It would be nice to have a setup that shows variables according to context. I've tried a little program with breakpoints. Before entering the function, the variable space looks like the first image below (I'm going to try placing small PNGs here out of curiosity how that works through the list). x is a vector of length fifty.

Upon entering the function and hitting a breakpoint, then stepping a few lines, the Workspace looks like the second image below. x is now a "local" variable in the sense of its context and displays the value 4.5000, because I used a variable x inside of the testfun() routine. It's easy enough to understand, but still it would be nice to retain the actual "x" namespace variable as well as the local function variable.

The third PNG is an example that uses some color to illustrate the different variables. Could maybe even be some indentation on the variables that inside a function; maybe that is where the tree could be of use.

Dan