Re: Java support in MXE build

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Re: Java support in MXE build
Date: Thu, 16 May 2013 10:21:07 -0400

On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 10:13 AM, Jordi GutiƩrrez Hermoso <address@hidden> wrote:
On 15 May 2013 18:50, Michael Goffioul <address@hidden> wrote:
> I wouldn't distribute our own JVM. Expecting the user to install Java is
> reasonable IMO.

Doesn't Matlab distribute their own JVM?

They used to, not sure if they still doing it. But that's not a reason to duplicate that behavior. This is the kind of things I find very irritating under Windows. Every single program installs its own version of support libraries and you end up with a cluttered system with duplicated files (and different versions) spread all over the place.

In my previous life, the fact that Matlab had its own JVM was more a problem than anything. I needed to integrate with some other Java libraries, but the Matlab JVM was just too old and it didn't work. So I had to install the newer JVM and trick Matlab into using the newer version instead (by playing with the javaclasspath.txt file).

I don't see the point of including our own JVM in this case. They are standard ways to get java installed. And the octave/java integration will be able to discover it from the registry. To be honest, Java packaging/installation is one the rare thing that is more standardized under Windows than under Linux.

Michael.