Re: OCTAVE ONLINE DOCUMENT PROBLEM(2)?

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: OCTAVE ONLINE DOCUMENT PROBLEM(2)?
Date: Sun, 19 May 2013 21:41:58 +0800

Ming, please "reply-all" so that others can follow along and not answer
previously answered questions.  Also type you response at the end of the email
so that those arriving later can follow the discussion.  I've responded further
at the bottom.

On May 19, 2013, at 9:31 PM, Ming Liu wrote:

> On Sun, May 19, 2013 at 11:22 PM, Ben Abbott <address@hidden> wrote:
>> On May 19, 2013, at 9:01 PM, Ming Liu wrote:
>>
>> > Hi all,
>> > I have read the online documentation, the 'color conversion' part. The
>> > link is here:
>> >
>> > http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/interpreter/Color-Conversion.html#Color-Conversion
>> >
>> > I think this HTML page is not well structured. I clicked the four links:
>> > hsv2rgb, rgb2hsv, ntsc2rgb,  rgb2ntsc.
>> > however, they both jump to the same page, which means that these four
>> > links are totally useless. I just would like to fix this bug to avoid the
>> > meaningless thing.
>>
>> They jump to the same page because they are each documented on the same page.
>>
>> Are you looking for something other than documentation?
>
> Ben
> Thank you Ben, for your quick reply!
> Yes, I am trying to look for something behind this. For example, in the
> relative MATLAB help document, if I try to click
> rgb2hsv
> I will get something below:
>
> ==========================================================================================
> Convert RGB colormap to HSV colormap
> Syntax
>
> cmap = rgb2hsv(M)
> hsv_image = rgb2hsv(rgb_image)
>
> Description
>
> cmap = rgb2hsv(M) converts an RGB colormap M to an HSV colormap cmap. Both
> colormaps are m-by-3 matrices. The elements of both colormaps are in the
> range 0 to 1.
>
> The columns of the input matrix M represent intensities of red, green, and
> blue, respectively. The columns of the output matrix cmap represent hue,
> saturation, and value, respectively.
>
> hsv_image = rgb2hsv(rgb_image) converts the RGB image to the equivalent HSV
> image. RGB is an m-by-n-by-3 image array whose three planes contain the red,
> green, and blue components for the image. HSV is returned as an m-by-n-by-3
> image array whose three planes contain the hue, saturation, and value
> components for the image.
>
> This is a good explanation of the principles and how to use that function. I
> wish Octave online document could also provide we Octave image processing
> users such kind of information. So we do not need to look them up in MATLAB's
> documentation.

The documentation can always use some improvement.  The development and
documentation of Octave is volunteer activity.  We can also use more volunteers
to assist in developing and documenting Octave.

Ben