Re: openmpi_ext successfully running with other mpi stacks

From: c.
Subject: Re: openmpi_ext successfully running with other mpi stacks
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2013 20:46:19 +0200

On 6 Jun 2013, at 20:09, Sukanta Basu <address@hidden> wrote:

> [...]

Dear Doug,

I'm the current maintainer of the openmpi_ext package [*].
If you have patches to improve the package functionality
or its portability they are very welcome.

The correct procedure to get those patches in the repository
is to post them to the tracker on savannah [1], so they don't get forgotten
and to discuss them on the maintainers' mailing list [2].

If you intend to do more extensive changes and work continuously on the package
we may also arrange giving you direct access to the subversion repository.

If you prefer to fork the project and develop it indipendently,
as long as you comply with the prescription of the GPL,
that is of course one of the freedoms granted to you by the GPL
itself, but I do not recommend doing so.

Please be advised in particular that ongoing changes to the liboctave API
will probaly break the package compatibility with future versions of Octave.

As for the specific modification you refer to, it sounds OK, a similar
change has actually been suggested before in order to allow
compatibility with different versions of openmpi [3],
yet, a better (cleaner and more portable) solution would be to interact with
MPI_Status objects
via their public methods rather than accessing their private (and undocumented)
properties directly.

Best regards,
Carlo de Falco

P.S. we don't usually refer to the software we write as a "product"

[*] Actually I took over Riccardo's task since he was too busy to manage
it at some point, but it seems his circumstances may be changing and I'd be
really glad if he could take it again ;)
[1] https://savannah.gnu.org/patch/?group=octave