Re: New recruit!

From: Pascal Dupuis
Subject: Re: New recruit!
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2013 12:38:11 +0200

The original mptoolbox author released a previous version on
sourceforge. I briefly looked at it.

Most of the code consist of an object-oriented layer above mex-files
calling gnu MPL directly. But in the process there are
re-implementations of f.i. matrix inversion and svd.

Without Linear Algebra Support, I agree that the package belongs to
Octave-Forge. Now if it starts re-implementing Linear Algebra
algorithms, there are risks of divergence between the algorithms from
BLAS and the new ones; there is need for maintenance of two trees, and
so on. This is why I feel less comfortable with a package in
octave-forge.

There is an MPACK package implementing Linear Algebra in higher
resolution Fortran, but there was no commit since the end of last
year. Maybe the high resolution support should be integrated in the
Fortran libs by their main contributors in the first place ?

Regards

Pascal