Re: Java support in MXE build

From: PhilipNienhuis
Subject: Re: Java support in MXE build
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2013 12:51:08 -0700 (PDT)

John W. Eaton wrote
> On 07/03/2013 09:45 AM, Anirudha Bose wrote:
>> On Wed, Jul 3, 2013 at 6:51 PM, John W. Eaton <

> jwe@

> > <mailto:

> jwe@

> >> wrote:
>>
>>     On 07/02/2013 04:56 PM, Anirudha Bose wrote:
>>
>>         On Wed, Jul 3, 2013 at 2:18 AM, John W. Eaton <

> jwe@

> >         <mailto:

> jwe@

>>         <mailto:

> jwe@

>  <mailto:

> jwe@

>>              On 07/02/2013 04:38 PM, PhilipNienhuis wrote:
>>
>>                  By the end of the week I might have time for this.
>>                  But I expect similar outcome as for Java, as IIRC I got
>>         exactly
>>                  the same
>>                  errors when building with llvm and no Java support, as
>> when
>>                  building with
>>                  Java support and no llvm.
>>

>>              Sorry, I haven't been following this discussion carefully.
>>
>>              Are these problems for a native or cross build?
>>
>>              If not cross, then has anyone attempted a cross build with
>>         Java enabled?
>>

>>         The problems are seen in both native as well as cross builds.
>>

>>     When I do a cross build for mingw, I see the following messages in
>>     log/octave:
>>

>>        configure: WARNING: JAVA_HOME environment variable not
>> initialized.
>>        configure: WARNING: Auto-detection will proceed but is unreliable.
>>        checking for java... /usr/bin/java
>>
>>     /scratch/jwe/src/mxe-octave/__tmp-octave/octave-3.7.5/__configure:
>>     line 66352: pwd:
>>
>>        -W: invalid option
>>        pwd: usage: pwd [-LP]
>>        checking for javac...
>> /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk-__amd64/bin/javac
>>        checking for jar... /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk-__amd64/bin/jar
>>        checking for Java version... 1.6.0_27
>>        checking for jvm.dll... ls: cannot access
>>     /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk-amd64/jre/lib/*/client: No such file or
>>     directory
>>
>>        not found
>>        configure: WARNING: Library jvm.dll not found.  Octave will not
>>     be able to call Java methods.
>>

>> Apparently jvm.dll is not available in OpenJDK. I used the Java
>> installation from my Windows partition to get past this error.
>
> I think the right thing to do is to not check for the JVM.  We just need
> enough "java" to be able to compile.  I think that's really just jni.h.
>   We load the JVM at run time, so that's when Octave should be checking
> for it and complaining if it doesn't exist.
>
> My question is really about where should we be getting the jni.h file?
> It could probably come from the build system, but I don't think that is
> the right solution.  Instead, I think we should be downloading some
> package that provides it and installing it along with other dependencies
> in the build tree.

> [...]

To download a complete JDK just to get jni.h seems overkill.
Why not be practical and rely on the build system's Java JDK, perhaps just
as fall-back or temporary solution, until maybe a better solution comes up?

An -admittedly cursory-  perusal on my box through the files

/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.7.0-openjdk-1.7.0.25.i386/include/jni.h   (Linux
version)

and

/mnt/winxp/Programs/Java/jdk1.6.0_33/include/jni.h   (Windows version)

doesn't show any difference apart from the header (comprising only comment
lines) and some formatting (indentation).

Philip