Re: eigs compatibility

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: eigs compatibility
Date: Thu, 04 Jul 2013 15:21:32 -0400

On 07/04/2013 03:03 PM, Daniel J Sebald wrote:

I guess a sparse matrix of 2x2 isn't really all that sparse. Anyway, if
it is important to have compatibility or just handle all dimensions, and
it is only 2x2 and 1x1 that must be dealt with, rather than require a
different math package be used to offer those results, it might be just
as easy to write out the formulas for the solution to the eigenvalues.
If one were to study the math, it probably breaks down into some simple
inversion formulas which aren't so challenging until getting above 3x3.
Why isn't there support in the sparse math package?

I have no clue why ARPACK has the limitation of providing at most N-2 eigenvalues, but that's the way it works. I'm not going to try to fix that problem.

Apparently Matlab's eigs function automatically handles the cases of computing N or N-1 eigenvalues. I don't know how to do that other than by calling eig and sorting the results as needed.

I think Matlab does not issue a warning until N >= 8, then it says that you should use "eig (full (A))" or something similar, but still goes ahead and does the calculation anyway. Would someone like to confirm that behavior?

I don't think it makes sense to try to write out the analyical solution for eigenvalues for N == 6, or 5, ...

I'm also not trying to defend this behavior. I just want to make it work because a paying customer wants it to work.