Re: [octave:package-releases] #43 msh-1.0.7

From: Carnë Draug
Subject: Re: [octave:package-releases] #43 msh-1.0.7
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2013 20:14:08 +0100

On 5 July 2013 18:04, c. <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 5 Jul 2013, at 18:02, Carnë Draug <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> If Debian distributed a build of Octave without GraphicsMagick, I
>> would call it a half-working binary.
>
> Because you are obviously a bit biased towards image processing ;)
> Until las year I wouldn't care at all if that feature were missing (now I
> care too, as you know),

I know I'm biased. That's why I also said that if you disable all the
options, everyone would call it half-working.

> So I would have been really disappointed if they would say :
> "sorry, we are a not able to support GraphicsMagick, Octave depends on
> GraphicsMagick
>  therefore we won't package Octave"

Would you rather have them said "sorry, the Octave developers marked
them as optional so we disabled them. If you really need them, you can
track the dependencies yourself, and build Octave. It's actually
easier than it sounds, don't worry"?

Carnë