Re: The Manual

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: The Manual
Date: Fri, 02 Aug 2013 15:18:26 -0400

On 08/01/2013 02:49 PM, Rik wrote:
On 08/01/2013 08:01 AM, Michael D. Godfrey wrote:
You have made great improvements to the Manual.  This
has been much needed.

While looking through it I noticed two things:

1. The formatting of the Table of Contents has a minor
     problem.  The page numbers are not fully right-aligned
     to the page width.  This has the effect that in a few cases
     the section text does not fit and so creates an additional
     line.  Right now this has the effect that the last line of
     the Table is on a new page.  I tried to find where the TOC
     page width is set, but could not find it.  If you know how
     to fix this it would improve the appearance quite a bit.
     Or, if you tell me where to look, I could try to figure it out!

Ugh, the Table of Contents is produced by Texinfo with the @content macro
in octave.texi.  The actual definition of the macro comes from Texinfo and
is in doc/texinfo.tex.  This looks hard to change.

I checked in the following change to adjust the right margin of the
contents pages:

  http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/2557d9e28fe6

I noticed that we have a few copies of texinfo.tex in our sources.
The one in build-aux seems to be the most recent (does that come from
gnulib?) and the one in doc seems old.  I'm not sure what is best.
Should we copy the file from build-aux to the doc directory during the
build?