Re: default.img

From: Rik
Subject: Re: default.img
Date: Wed, 07 Aug 2013 16:06:33 -0700

On 08/07/2013 06:17 AM, Carnë Draug wrote:
> On 6 August 2013 22:27, Rik <address@hidden> wrote:

>>> This is an easter egg in both Octave and Matlab. Depending on the
>>> version Matlab shows a different image that has some history behind
>>> it, in some cases related to people who donates more [1].
>>>
>>> What I would do would be to either change the format of default.img,
>>> or stop treating default.img as an image file.
>> 8/6/13
>>
>> Carnë,
>>
>> I just found another instance of this problem in struct2hdl
>> (http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/b1fd3dc31c42).  As long as
>> were going to keep this easter egg we should convert it to a filetype that
>> can be read.  Please go ahead and do that.
> Another instance but indirect. This could still be fixed by having
> image() use load instead of imread(). But if I'm converting
> default.img to an actual image file, what format should I use?
Something generally free of license restrictions, perhaps PNG or TIFF?
>  Also,
> should I create a normal image or an indexed image.
I would prefer indexed.  The image could then have at least some pedagogic
purposes because it could be loaded and the colormap changed to show the
effects.
>  What is the
> purpose of this image?
It has no purpose.  This is just an easter egg.
>  It would be nice to have several images with
> different characteristics but I'm wary of committing binary files to
> the repository.
Jordi already commented on this.  We should add real test images to the
repository, but that is a separate discussion from the default.img.

--Rik