Re: high resolution floating point

From: CdeMills
Subject: Re: high resolution floating point
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2014 07:19:46 -0800 (PST)

Carnë Draug-4 wrote
> I really don't think that's a good idea. We should not be shadowing
> functions of other packages (exception made for packages whose purpose
> is to actually do it such as NaN). That's what dependencies are for.
> And the vpa function belongs to the symbolic package (following the
> logic that packages will mimic the functions in Matlab's toolboxes) so
> it should not be moved from one place to other.
>
> Now, I understand that the symbolic package is unmaintained and
> severely broken. If nothing else besides vpa works, just remove them
> (hey! we have a revision control system, let's use it) and make a
> release with what works if you need it.

As I understand things,  GiNac mixes symbolic manipulations with high
resolution computation based upon the GNU GMP lib. My purposes are:
1) provide some decent interface to MPFR, which is addendum to GMP handling
rounding issues
2) let's implement and fix high resolution computation as short term target.

Basically this is thus independant of symbolic -- you're right. Which Matlab
toolbox implements multi-resolution operations atop MPFR ?

Regards

Pascal