Re: Introduction : Kushal Khandelwal

From: fgnievinski
Subject: Re: Introduction : Kushal Khandelwal
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 06:41:57 -0800 (PST)

Kushal Khandelwal wrote
> Hello
>
> My name is Kushal Khandelwal and I am a fourth undergraduate in
> Electronics
> and Instrumentation from BITS Pilani Goa Campus India. I have some
> experience working with open source organizations. Currently I am
> contributing with fedora project (learning fedora packaging ) .
>
> Programming languages I work on Python , Ruby and C. Also I have web
> development experience in HTML CSS and Javascript.
>
> I have been quite involved with Image Processing and from past 2 years I
> have been teaching juniors from my batch Image Processing using
> Matlab/Octave. Also I have been using Octave for solving some machine
> learning problems ( Coursera Machine Learning Course)
>
> I would be really interested in contributing to Octave Project. I would be
> willing to work on some Numerical Problem implementation or project
> involved with machine learning. I have gone through the Idea list on wiki
> page but haven't decided on a particular problem.
>
> I would like to discuss more on these ideas. I have set up my development
> environment and currently going through the codebase.
>
> I would be very grateful, If some can guide me through some small bugs I
> should fix or some small projects I should try implementing
>
> IRC Nick : kushalkhandelwal on #octave, #fedora-admin , #fedora-ml @
> freenode
> Resume : http://goo.gl/CrOR2a <http://goo.gl/CrOR2a>
>
> Thank you for your time. Looking forward to contribute.
>
> --
>
> Kushal Khandelwal
>

> Birla Institute of Technology & Science, Pilani
>
> K K Birla Goa Campus

Dear Kushal,

Great to hear from you. It's always good to have new contributors.

Please read carefully this section:
<http://wiki.octave.org/GSoC_Project_Ideas#Steps_Toward_a_Successful_Application>
to find out what is expected from GSoC applicants.

It's good that you already have some experience working with open source
organizations.
Based on your programming language skills and past experience, these
projects would seem to be a good fit for you:
<http://wiki.octave.org/GSoC_Project_Ideas#Finish_the_Agora_website>
<http://wiki.octave.org/GSoC_Project_Ideas#Improvements_to_N-dimensional_image_processing>

You also mentioned an interest in a project involved with machine learning;
it brings to mind the optimization package, which has many missing
functions, although it's not listed in the GSoC page:
<http://wiki.octave.org/Optimization_package>

It's recommended you try one of the very short projects available at:
<http://wiki.octave.org/Short_projects>

Please don't hesitate to ask for help here or on IRC:
<http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=octave>

Best regards,
-Felipe.