Re: GSoC 2014 - Octave projects

From: Juan Pablo Carbajal
Subject: Re: GSoC 2014 - Octave projects
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2014 12:59:11 +0100

On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 10:01 AM, Sandeep K Chaudhary
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> My name is Sandeep and I am interested in working on a project in
> Octave. I have a good level of experiencing writing general and
> mathematical code in C++ and MATLAB, and have worked a lot on solving
> matrix, computational and optimization problems in MATLAB and C++. I
> think I will be a suitable fit for Octave project. For now, I am
> looking for ways to get started with a particular Octave project. I
> just wanted to introduce myself through this email. I will post to the
> mailing list with specifics as I look further into the projects.
>
> --
> Thanks and regards,
> Sandeep K Chaudhary.

Dear Sandeep,
(this is almost an automated response ;D, Welcome! )

Great to hear from you. It's always good to have new contributors.

Please read carefully this section:
http://wiki.octave.org/GSoC_Project_Ideas#Steps_Toward_a_Successful_Application
to find out what is expected from GSoC applicants.

It's good that you already have extensive experience with both C++ and the
Matlab scripting language.

I am not aware of a particular project on optimization, but you can
still propose something (and maybe Olaf Till has an idea). Check these
pages for all projects so far:
http://wiki.octave.org/GSoC_Project_Ideas
http://wiki.octave.org/Projects
Please let us know if you need more detailed info.

It's recommended you try one of the very short projects available at:
http://wiki.octave.org/Short_projects

Please don't hesitate to ask for help here or on IRC:
http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=octave

Best regards,

JuanPi