Re: tempname vs. tmpnam

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: tempname vs. tmpnam
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2014 16:03:07 -0400

On 10/22/2014 02:35 PM, Rik wrote:

tempdir and tempname are required for Matlab compatibility.  The Mathworks
doesn't have a tempfile so we are free to do what we wish in this regard.
Right now, the name accords with the underlying C function name.  But it
could make sense to settle on "temp" as the prefix for all temporary things
and rename this to tempfile.  It would make it easier from the command line
to use temp<TAB> to see what functions are available.  On the other hand,
tmpfile is in all the seealso links so if you're searching you will come
across it quickly.

Anyways, I'm not too exercised either way.  If someone wants to prepare a
changeset I'd review it.  Otherwise it can stay this way.

If we keep the functions that are essentially wrappers for the underlying C library functions, it makes sense to me to keep the names the same as they are in the C library.