Re: Package for level-set-based shape optimisation

From: Olaf Till
Subject: Re: Package for level-set-based shape optimisation
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2015 17:29:09 +0100

Some answers from the perspective of the optim package:

On Wed, Mar 11, 2015 at 12:16:36PM +0100, Daniel Kraft wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> I'm working on shape optimisation in a level-set framework.  Some parts
> of my code are already published in the Octave "level-set" package.  I
> would now like to also polish and publish some more, namely code related
> to the actual optimisation.
>
> In particular, I'm thinking about the following parts:
>
> 1) High-level routines that handle line searches and run a descent
> method on shapes described by level sets.

Could go into optim package if it's a general, established line search
algorithm which calls a user function (passed as argument) on its way,
assuming that all the extra stuff with the shapes can be done by this
user function (which I don't know). Otherwise, I'd agree it probably
wouldn't fit into optim package.

> 2) Related utilities for (optionally) plotting status information along
> the descent and also recording / replaying descents.  (Useful for
> running the computation on a server or over night and then interpreting
> the results interactively.)

See above, can this be done by a user function passed to the line
search? In any case, this code should probably not go into the optim
package (as you already said).