Re: Octave 4.0 on Mac OS Yosemite (with gui!)

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: Octave 4.0 on Mac OS Yosemite (with gui!)
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2015 17:02:13 -0400

>>> Agreed. I would also like to be able to figure out how to use the osmesa
>>> support provided by XQuartz. Does anyone know if there are known issues, or
>>> are we just doing something wrong (not setting LDFLAGS or LIBS correctly?).
>>>
>>> Ben
>>
>> I did some experiments with osmesa but so far without success. homebrew has
>> a dedicated formula for osmesa
>> (https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew-x11/blob/master/mesalib-glw.rb) but it
>> disables gl-osmesa which seems to be the most important part.
>
> The Qt libs for Mac OSX use native graphics, while osmesa support is part of
> X11. Perhaps this is a problem? Does homebrew have an OSMesa formula? I’ve
> just installed Fink’s package for osmesa and had to tinker a bit for
> configure to work.
>
> Initially, I got ...
>
> checking osmesa.h usability... no
> checking osmesa.h presence... no
> checking for osmesa.h... no
> checking GL/osmesa.h usability... yes
> checking GL/osmesa.h presence... yes
> checking for GL/osmesa.h... yes
> checking for OSMesaCreateContext in -lOSMesa... no
> configure: WARNING: OSMesa library not found.  Offscreen rendering with
> OpenGL will be disabled.
>
> I then addeded "-L/sw/lib/mesa“ to the LDFLAGS and "-I/sw/include/mesa” to
> the CPPFLAGS. After than configure found and was able to use the OSMesa
> library. When done, configure reported …
>
>       OSMesa libraries:            -lOSMesa
>
> My build fails due to errors like ...
>
>       /sw/include/mesa/GL/osmesa.h:249:1: error: unknown type name 'GLAPI'
>       GLAPI GLboolean GLAPIENTRY
>
> Perhaps the osmesa included with XQuartz is creating a problem?
>
>            --with-OSMesa-includedir=/sw/include/mesa \
>            --with-OSMesa-libdir=/sw/lib/mesa \
>
> Does anyone have any insight?

ls -1 /sw/lib/mesa/libOSMesa*
/sw/lib/mesa/libOSMesa.6.5.dylib
/sw/lib/mesa/libOSMesa.6.dylib
/sw/lib/mesa/libOSMesa.a
/sw/lib/mesa/libOSMesa.dylib

Apparently, my version is OSMesa is 6.5. The wiki indicates I need > 9.0

http://wiki.octave.org/OSMesa

It seems unlikely that the compile error is related, but if I’m able to get the
OSMesa part of build, problems will remain.

Ben