Re: default colormap

From: Carlo De Falco
Subject: Re: default colormap
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2015 19:15:16 +0000

On 4 Nov 2015, at 16:38, Carnë Draug <address@hidden> wrote:

> That's not Intellectual Property.  That's trademark law.  And it doesn't
> apply to a colormap.  The following may be helpful to clear the differences:
>
>    https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/not-ipr.html

as RMS himself writes at that link trademarks, patents, and copyright are
all referred to as "intellectual property" sometimes.

I agree that this is a confusing use of the term and that is why I put it
in quotes in my original message.

In the discussion I remember about parula, an employee of TMW was claiming
some sort of "property" on the colormap without specifying what kind
of legal protection they had for it.

c.