Re: The Feynman Lectures on Physics Online Edition

From: Michael A. Gottlieb
Subject: Re: The Feynman Lectures on Physics Online Edition
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2016 04:28:52 -0600

Well, “looking bad” is a bit harsh.  Most visitors don't have an eye for these details and won't even notice.

I notice.

Please look at the screenshots attached to get an impression.  There seems to be a font problem on my system.  I have disabled any adblockers and do not enforce particular fonts in my browser.  Text zoom is at 100%.

Thanks for the screenshots. I've attached my own, showing the same text and math, framed the same way as in your shots. These were made using Google Chrome 47.0.2526.106 (64-bit) under Mac OSX 10.11.2 running on a MacBook Pro - all 'vanilla' (no customization).

There is a very short period of time during page load when the font looks good.  But then MathJax changes fonts.

What you see initially, during that "short time," is a 'fast preview' put up by MathJax while it completes its typesetting. It isn't very accurately typeset and doesn't include equation numbers.

Looking at the DOM, I can see “font-size: 113%” for all MathJax frames. This seem to cause the too big fonts and also some bad extra margin to the left.  Maybe you can disable this font-enlargement in MathJax.

MathJax is not the problem.

The problem is apparent from your screenshots: the body text isn't being displayed in the right font. It should be Georgia, serif, which is a heavier font than what your browser is displaying, and a good match to the font MathJax is using.