Re: Using Qt help framework

From: Torsten
Subject: Re: Using Qt help framework
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2016 10:15:13 +0100

On 17.01.2016 09:40, Pantxo Diribarne wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I prepared the attached 2 xml files as a proof of concept for using the
> Qt help framework to replace our current doc browser.
>
> If you want to get a taste of what the doc browser could look like and
> the features we could have access to, copy the 2 files in the same
> directory as "octave.html" directory (build/tree/doc/interpreter) and
> run the following commands in that directory:
>
> qcollectiongenerator octave_help.qhcp -o octave_help.qhc
> assistant -collectionFile octave_help.qhc
>
> This will produce a self contained Qt Help Collection file and load it
> into qt-assistant. We can virtually (with time and work as usual)
> reproduce all the qt-assistant features/widgets behavior using Qt help
> module [1].
>
> In case you are interested to make the change in the future, the xml
> files were prepared semi-automatically using java Xerces and HTMLCleaner
> libraries. I had to parse only 2 files:
> * "index.html" to retrieve the table of contents and corresponding html
> links
> * "Function-Index.html" to retrieve the function reference and
> corresponding links
>
> The above can probably be done using regexp in Octave, which would avoid
> having to rely on new libraries.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Pantxo
>
> [1] http://qt.apidoc.info/4.8.5/qthelp.html#details

Pantxo, these are very good news and the documentation really looks good
in the Qt-Assistant browser. If it is possible to fully automate the
generation of the necessary files during the build process, we certainly
should use the Qt help framework instead of our current viewer with all
its limitations.

Torsten