Re: Line length for code?

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Line length for code?
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 2016 14:57:19 -0500

On 02/02/2016 02:50 PM, Colin Macdonald wrote:
On 02/02/16 11:35, John W. Eaton wrote:
As for source files, maybe the suggestion to put "sentences" on single
lines is worth trying?  In some cases, we would have some very long
lines (for example, the parameter list of some Fortran functions).

My opinion/interpretation of this practice, is that each sentence should
*start* on a new line, but that sentence could wrap at 72/80/whatever.
This works well, for example, with LaTeX or texinfo and revision control
systems.

Yes, but it can also be useful to avoid inserting literal newline characters in long lines, especially if the output is displayed in a narrow terminal window that further wraps but respects literal newline characters. Then you can end up with a bit of a jumbled mess.