Re: having trouble with XTRA_CFLAGS showing up on AM_CXXFLAGS

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: having trouble with XTRA_CFLAGS showing up on AM_CXXFLAGS
Date: Sun, 07 Feb 2016 10:39:35 -0500

On 02/07/2016 09:24 AM, Carnë Draug wrote:

I spent a lot of time yesterday looking for this.  Is there any tip
so that next time I can find it myself?  Or one just needs to be more
familiar with Octave's build?

I started by trying to identify exactly which rule was executed for a given .df target that was failing, using "make V=1 ..." to show the exact commands that are executed, and then looking at the variables that were used. I was about to start modifying the rule to print out the individual variables when I spotted the typo. When diagnosing a problem like this it helps to work directly with the generated Makefile to avoid having to regenerate it for every small change.