Re: interval 1.4.0 released

From: Oliver Heimlich
Subject: Re: interval 1.4.0 released
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2016 23:05:23 +0100

Dear Przemek,

thanks for your report and help to make the interval package better!

On 10.02.2016 18:05, Przemek Klosowski wrote:
> I tried the interval package (latest version packaged for Fedora 23
> (octave 4.0.0, interval 0.2.1)
> and got this:
>
> infsup(1)
> error: 'mpfr_to_string_d' undefined near line 87 column 25
> error: called from
>     intervaltotext at line 87 column 23
>
> I have mpfr library installed, but it doesn't have the mpfr_to_string_d
> function in it. Could it be that the distributed package was compiled
> against a different version?

The “mpfr_to_string_d” function is part of the interval package and a
wrapper/interface to GNU MPFR functions from inside Octave. It is used
internally by the package and gets compiled during package installation.
Not being able to call the function means that something is wrong with
your paths. Did you upgrade from an earlier Octave version without
recompilation of the package?

On 10.02.2016 18:18, Przemek Klosowski wrote:
> On 02/09/2016 12:37 PM, Oliver Heimlich wrote:
>> a new release of the interval package for real-valued interval
>> arithmetic [1] is out, version 1.4.0.
>
> I compiled that (pkg install -forge interval) and I am getting this error:
>
> infsupdec(x)
> error: class has no member 'inf'
> error: called from
>     inf at line 54 column 8
>     intervalpart at line 41 column 6
>     intervaltotext at line 60 column 12
>
> it also appears when I try simple stuff like [empty]

I tried to reproduce: Installed Fedora 23 together with Octave 4.0.0.
After “dnf install mpfr-devel octave-devel” I could install the interval
package.

I was able to use the package like this:
>> pkg load interval
>> infsupdec (1)
ans = [1]_com
>> infsupdec ("[Empty]")
ans = [Empty]_trv

Your error message indicates that x is an unsupported data type.
Parameters to the infsupdec constructor should be matrices, cell arrays
or strings. If you need further help, please create a bug report with
detailed instructions to reproduce the error message here:
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?func=additem&group=octave

Thanks
Oliver