Re: symtab.h: why so many function bodies

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: symtab.h: why so many function bodies
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2016 16:30:13 -0500

On 02/24/2016 12:24 PM, Rik wrote:

 My guess is that the the linker symbol
table is crowded with a bunch of functions that are never called outside
of a single translation unit (static file scope). This increases the
sizes of the object files and probably makes the linker work a bit
harder to read, but never use, these definitions.

If that's true, then I think just making those functions static (if they are just plain old functions) should be sufficient.

For member functions of a class that has a public interface, I think visibility would need to be defined for functions that are not actually needed outside of a single file. But we currently only tag entire classes, not individual methods (if that is even possible, I haven't checked).