Re: Octave on windows testing

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Octave on windows testing
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2016 12:50:14 -0800

On Fri, Mar 11, 2016 at 09:04:06 +0100, Olaf Till wrote:
> I set -fno-strict-aliasing and didn't assume this option exists in all
> other compilers.
>
> The reason for this option was that I have macros for accessing memory
> areas by assuming an arbitrary type for them, using ('C-ish') pointer
> casts. (This memory area is originally accessed only by a pointer to
> char.) I don't think it's possible to circumvent this problem using
> unions, since the union itself would have to be pointer-casted to
> char, again necessitating -fno-strict-aliasing.

Even if the union contains the char array for direct memory access? I
guess a pointer to a relevant part of the code would help here.

If it were me and I there were no way to work around strict aliasing, I
would probably eliminate the check for $GXX, try to apply the
-fno-strict-aliasing option if the compiler allows it, warn or silently
fail if it doesn't, and wait for someone to report a problem if they
want to use the package on a different compiler.

--
mike