Re: "features" problems

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: "features" problems
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2016 22:52:56 +0100

Carnë Draug wrote:
On 20 March 2016 at 19:20, Philip Nienhuis <address@hidden> wrote:
Carnë Draug wrote:
[...]

That solution has another advantage.  PKG_ADD is sourced.  This means that
if anything in PKG_ADD generates a result it will replace local variables
(clearing variables at the end of PKG_ADD does not restore their value).

Yes, I know PKG_ADD runs in the current scope; io package's PKG_ADD is
careful and cleans up after itself.

It does not restore the original user variables.  If the user had variables
named:

     libdir spr_status userdir homedir bnam ooopath ii HAVE_JAVA amd64y

they will have been removed after loading the io package.

Sure, your solution in the previous is superior.

The reason for why PKG_ADD behaves like this is that it is meant for
simpler
things, such as registering options.  If you need a complex piece of code,
use a separate function for it and call it from PKG_ADD.

That is a good suggestion.
But it doesn't change the PKG_ADD location issue which was at the base of
this part of the discussion - to wit, why certain octave_config_info output
could be required.

It does.  Instead of writing another long email trying explaining this, I
just did the coding myself.  See bug #47480 and the attached patch.

Must be my ignorance, but in that bug report + linked reports I see nothing that negates what I wrote: that pkg.m and/or subsidiaries screwed up as regards PKG_* location. A fix for that was indeed needed. You made that fix, thanks for it and good that it is pushed. Too bad that it took such a long time for a solution for those PKG_* issues with pkg.m (absolutely no blame on you).

PKG_ADD's location and what io's PKG_ADD is doing are separate issues. You fixed the former; my job now is to fix the latter.

This should drop all your requirements on the paths currently being served
via octave_config_info.

No, "libdir" is still used. Who knows what other info may be useful or even needed in the future. There's a workaround for "libdir", but not very robust. Getting it from Octave itself still looks superior to me.

Philip