Re: GNU Octave 4.0.1 - online manual update

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: GNU Octave 4.0.1 - online manual update
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2016 10:49:09 -0400

On 03/24/2016 06:16 AM, siko1056 wrote:
Thank you for the 4.0.1 release jwe and everyone else!

Alongside with this release, I felt free to rebuild the html documentation,
doing some SED to add Olivers awesome octave.css (which is already included
into the default-branch), and put it online

https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/v4.0.1/

Thanks. I moved the existing docs for 4.0.0 to .../doc/v4.0.0 and updated the .htaccess file so that .../doc/interpreter redirects to v4.0.1.

I'd like to keep manuals for each released version on the web. I'll try to create a page that can present links to all the versions we have online soon.

I'll also update the PDF version of the manual and use a similar version scheme.

The current documentation

https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/interpreter/

left many users in trouble, if they are really working with the up-to-date
one (see for example https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?47058).

What was the trouble? The version on the web was for 4.0.0, which is the stable release of Octave. So I'm not sure I understand the problem.

Another issue I have is the usage of CVS for the website repository. Was it
possible to switch to HG or GIT?

Not if we are hosting the manual on the gnu.org site because CVS is unfortunately the only option for web pages. If you want to see this fixed, please try to work with the gnu.org or savannah admins to allow other options. Then all projects would benefit.