Re: Generalised eigenvalue problem

From: Barbara Lócsi
Subject: Re: Generalised eigenvalue problem
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2016 20:05:36 +0200

Thanks for the feedback. After your mail I extended my proposal but didn't have enough time to ask for feedback before deadline.

I am also started working on preliminary balancing for eig. And I have some questions about it.
I posted my code here:
EIG.cc
http://pastebin.com/CBBUYYDW

EIG.h
http://pastebin.com/9met8n18

fEIG.cc
http://pastebin.com/9PZLTd48

fEIG.h
http://pastebin.com/Z6RifG2i

eig.cc
http://pastebin.com/RJ6Fi04f

And I also created a diff file (don’t know which one is more useful)
http://pastebin.com/C7PhbzVS

I changed the *geev function calls to the extended versions(*geevx) ( in EIG.cc and fEIG.cc) and implemented checking for 'balance' and 'nobalance' option (in eig.cc).
The *geevx LAPACK functions would allow 2 more options: permute and scale. Should these also be implemented?

I already know that in Matlab there is no option to change balance option in the general case, but the documentation does not mention if the balancing is default or not in the generalised case. How should I handle this?

I think that balancing a Symmetric or a Hermitian matrix does nothing, so I didn't touched those functions (so there is no balancing at all). Please correct me if I am wrong.

I am also not sure what to do in case of an invalid string input. I checked in some other codes and I am still not sure, in balance it does nothing if it got an invalid string as second argument, while in matrix_type it causes:
error: matrix_type: Unknown matrix type ...
So I have 2 ideas:
- error / print usage
- don't care continue with the default setting ('balance')

Please copy the whole maintainers list for Summer of Code related e-mails.