Re: Contribute to Octave

From: Sebastian Schöps
Subject: Re: Contribute to Octave
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2016 14:13:33 -0700 (PDT)

Ion-Cristian Stefan wrote
> Hello,
>
> I have looked at the project "Implement solver for initial-boundary
> value problems for parabolic-elliptic PDEs in 1D" on the list of
> possible projects. Does this project still need to be done? I would be
> interested in this project. What must I do to get started on it?

Yes, the project is still open. There is a simple implementation of bvp4c
(?) in the ode package, see http://octave.sourceforge.net/odepkg/. However,
as far as I recall it uses a method differnent from the one of Matlab.

If you want to contribute, you could start reeimplementing one of the
methods listed here:
http://mathworks.com/help/matlab/boundary-value-problems.html

It is very important that you do not look into the Matlab sources nor
download any code from Matlab's file exchange. If you would do so, we cannot
use your code and you you endanger the octave project. Obviously, reading
the help pages or papers (e.g. from Shampine et al.) is fine.

Bye
Sebastian