Re: Forge package not in forge hg repositories

From: Juan Pablo Carbajal
Subject: Re: Forge package not in forge hg repositories
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2016 23:32:02 +0200

On Thu, Apr 7, 2016 at 10:46 PM, Carnë Draug <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 25 March 2016 at 01:45, Juan Pablo Carbajal <address@hidden> wrote:
>>>
>>> Can you give more details?  Is this a matlab project that your script
>>> repackages into an Octave package?  Is that a C library and you have
>>> a script that generates an automatic wrapper into Octave types?  Something
>>> else?
>>
>> It is a script that repackages this package
>> http://www.gaussianprocess.org/gpml/code/matlab/doc/
>> I have a repository here https://bitbucket.org/KaKiLa/gpml/src

>>> No.
>>
>> Ok, so we mirror my repository? or what is the way to go?
>
> Have you approached them to have them do this?  I would prefer if this was
> done by them and they upload the releases (or that if you do this, you do
> it on their behalf with their permission).
>
> They have released a gpml package that they claim works in Octave.  You
> have modified it and created a package with the same name and version
> number that it can be installed with Octave pkg.  I don't think we should
> be doing that.
>
> But there is an issue with packages that are released elsewhere.  We have
> our release check and have previously rejected releases so it becomes an
> issue if they are released somewhere else first.  This is the reason why
> I have never even suggested bioformats [2] to release their package in OF
> (I have added an Octave package target to their build system).
>
> So unless upstream is involved, and understanding how things work in OF,
> I don't think we should be releasing their package.
>
> Carnë
>
> [1] http://downloads.openmicroscopy.org/bio-formats/5.1.8/

Hi,

Of course I have approached them. Also you can see that my repository
has the original author as admin.
So, I understand that you are saying we do not put in in Forge. Sad,
we might be losing some visibility.
I will try the Debian guys to have it.

I think we should re-thin this attitude/policy which in a way defeats
the whole idea of libre software.
Also I thin the way forge now it is really outdated. Lets see if we
can get packages installed directly from the web.

Cheers