Re: Incorrect version of libtool executable under Linux Mint

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Incorrect version of libtool executable under Linux Mint
Date: Mon, 2 May 2016 14:04:18 -0400

On Mon, May 02, 2016 at 12:57:32 -0500, Daniel J Sebald wrote:
> I've just switched to Linux Mint.  I've run into a problem immediately after
> what looks like proper configuration.  When building, I see
>
> cd libgnu; make all
> make[1]: Entering directory `/home/sebald/matlab/octave/build1/libgnu'
> make all-recursive
> make[2]: Entering directory `/home/sebald/matlab/octave/build1/libgnu'
> make[3]: Entering directory `/home/sebald/matlab/octave/build1/libgnu'
> CC areadlink-with-size.lo
> ../libtool: line 2096: ../../octave/libgnu/areadlink-with-size.c: Permission
> denied
> gcc: error: : No such file or directory
> gcc: fatal error: no input files
> compilation terminated.
>
> I think that the problem here may be that ../libtool is being used (the one
> constructed by "configure"), rather than /usr/bin/libtool.

Is it possible you did not run bootstrap or had a partially built
directory when you started building on your new distribution?

Running ./bootstrap should run libtoolize --force, which should
overwrite any libtool-generated files.

But I haven't seen this error so I don't know what the cause is.

> The following
> list discussion
>
>   http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=225111
>
> suggests changing
>
> LIBTOOL='$(SHELL) $(top_builddir)/libtool'

> LIBTOOL='$(SHELL) /usr/bin/libtool'
>
> in
>
> /usr/share/aclocal/libtool.m4
>
> but I don't really feel like modifying system files to solve this.  So,
> temporarily, I've cheated a bit and after configuration completes renamed
> the local libtool and then linked the system libtool in its place, i.e.,
>
> build1 # mv libtool libtool-local
> build1 # ln -s /usr/bin/libtool
> build1 # make
>
> and away we go...

*shrug* That should be fine. You could also run

  make LIBTOOL=/usr/bin/libtool

$builddir/libtool is the libtool script tailored for the project being
built (e.g. only support for C and C++ source files), while
/usr/bin/libtool is usually the same script but suitable for any
language.

--
mike