Re: About the "pre-built installers" on the OF website

From: Julien Bect
Subject: Re: About the "pre-built installers" on the OF website
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2016 12:54:57 +0200

Le 15/07/2016 à 11:31, PhilipNienhuis a écrit :
If the links to the installers are to be retained it could be positioned
more downward or at the bottom, and then I like to see some mention that all
major Linux distros feature prebuilt core Octave packages and prebuilt OF
packages.
Maybe even mention that it can be handier to use the distro-supplied
packages rather than install OF packages outside your distro's package
manager? (I don't care for my own systems but for many people, package
managers are a real help)

Hi Philip,

Sure, having a page somewhere that explains the various manners of getting octave forge packages is useful. There were recent discussions about this, I don't remember if it was on the bug tracker or in the mailing list.

-----

Actually, such a page already exists in the wiki : http://wiki.octave.org/Octave-Forge#Installing_packages.

I would suggest improving this page if needed, and then linking to it from the OF index.html (and perhaps also from the Octave FAQ).

Another option would be to move this information to the FAQ, with an entry such as ""How do I install Octave Forge packages ?".

-----

Actually, the OF website and the wiki contradict each other on this.

The OF website advertises the "pkg install -forge ..." approach on its first page (inside a BIG orange box), while the wiki recommends the system package manager.

That is the risk of having several places to give the same information...

-----

I will prepare on the wiki a draft of a page dedicated to the various ways of installing Octave Forge packages.

Then we can decide whethere to leave it on the wiki and link to it from various relevant places, or move it to the OF website.

@++
Julien