Re: Website autodetect OS

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Website autodetect OS
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2016 10:16:49 -0500

On 12/07/2016 07:36 PM, Mike Miller wrote:
On Wed, Dec 07, 2016 at 22:55:23 +0000, Parsiad Azimzadeh wrote:
Perhaps instructions for Ubuntu might be sufficient, as this is a
distribution that attracts new Linux users (e.g., graduate students in
mathematics and related fields) that are not always familiar with package
management.

That's what I personally think we should avoid. I agree Ubuntu is a
distribution that attracts new users and makes things easy, which is
precisely why they have an easy to use Software Center and a user's
manual that covers in depth how to search for and install applications.

I don't think octave.org should be a mirror for instructions on how to
install Octave using the Ubuntu Software Center.

And I think we should avoid http://xkcd.com/1654 style installation
instructions also.

I agree with Mike here. We don't need to promote one distribution over another. And if we did, we should be promoting one that is blessed by the FSF since we are using their hosting services.