Re: GLib-CRITICAL errors during build of docs (dev octave)

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: GLib-CRITICAL errors during build of docs (dev octave)
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2017 23:20:39 -0500

On 09/01/2017 06:16 PM, Mike Miller wrote:
On Fri, Sep 01, 2017 at 16:00:11 -0700, Mike Miller wrote:
I think this is caused when multiple instances of Octave are generating
the plot figures concurrently, with make -jN. I can get these warnings
to go away with make -j1.

Backing out changeset fb9b024a6041 makes these messages go away. But
that change was meant to fix bug #50210. Did this change introduce
another problem or are these messages safe to ignore? Does anyone know?

Yes, I think it is creating another problem. The changeset looks like something I would have tried initially when attempting a robust exit sequence when the user selects "Exit" from the main GUI window while Octave-core is busy processing. But terminate() and wait() don't work quite the way one would hope. terminate() isn't graceful stoppage of the thread, instead it issues an error just as when Octave CLI were terminated.

The previous work is

https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?44485

In fact, Philip is the person I was working with on testing that, but unfortunately I never felt I handled all the various scenarios that could occur, e.g., user pressing exit several times in row, or Octave-core finally acknowledging it is complete while the "Should I force termination?" dialog box is on the screen. (The dialog appeared after a two second timer expired.)

As I recall, my thinking at the time was to wait until Cntrl-C handling was all worked out because that would be the proper way to stop Octave if the user confirms "Yes, force termination" in the dialog box. You'll probably want to backout this change, as I don't think it can be made robust.

For the documentation, I suppose using octave-cli as opposed to the GUI isn't possible because graphics_toolkit qt is needed:

sebald@ ~ $ octave-cli
GNU Octave, version 4.3.0+
[snip]
octave:1> graphics_toolkit qt
error: graphics_toolkit: qt toolkit is not available
error: called from
    graphics_toolkit at line 81 column 5
octave:1> graphics_toolkit fltk

Dan