Re: mxe-octave status

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: mxe-octave status
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2017 18:00:04 -0400

On 10/20/2017 04:28 PM, Philip Nienhuis wrote:

Ah, I see I misunderstood; you mean that mesa version provokes a segfault.
(Sorry for not following the whole issue in detail - which relates to not having hit the issue with older system opengl32.dll libs yet.)

No, the mesa version works fine for me. It's when I've built the qt5 version with mesa and then I attempt to use the system opengl32.dll instead. As far as I know, this should work since the API should be the same. It's supposed to be a "drop-in replacement"

However, I haven't tried to build without the mesa opengl implementation and see whether that works.

If I configure & build with --disable-system-opengl, install & then remove opengl32.dll from the mxe-octave/bin/ subdir, would Octave fall back to the system version in C:\Windows\system32 ?

Yes, if you restart Octave, it should dynamically link to whatever opengl32.dll is in the same directory with the .exe file or the first one found in the PATH.

And this DOES work for me when using qt4, so it seems most likely that the Qt5 widget doesn't work with my system opengl library, or that I'm using QOpenGLWidget incorrectly.

or is the mxe-octave version statically linked to graphics libraries?
I'll just try it out this weekend.

No, it's not statically linked.  It's using the DLL (dynamic linking).

(On this web page:
http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/windows-requirements.html
under "Dynamically Loading Graphics Drivers" I saw something about dynamically loading opengl implementations. Would that be of any help here?)

Possibly, but I don't think we need to do that. Just choosing one implementation at startup should be sufficient. We don't need to attempt to use multiple implementations simultaneously or swap between them.