Re: Switch all http to https in code base?

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Switch all http to https in code base?
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2018 18:52:36 -0700

On Thu, Apr 05, 2018 at 18:39:58 -0700, Rik wrote:
> How strict should we be about converting URL references from http to
> https?

Everything that can be https should be https.

I thought I had taken care of changing all octave.org, gnu.org, and
sourceforge.{io,net} URLs to https, did you see any that aren't?

> notice lots of instance of @url{...} in the documentation that
> are using insecure http.

I didn't bother with going through all third-party URLs to .edu and
other domains, but if they can be https they should be.

If a URL to some code or paper returns an error now, should we leave it?

> And then there are others like this one:
>
> config.h:3101:#define PACKAGE_URL "http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/";

That URL is constructed automatically by autoconf.

I had thought about overriding it by adding a fifth argument to AC_INIT,
but I think it's probably ok to just leave it until a new release of
autoconf is out.

--
mike