Re: First 4.4.0 release candidate on alpha.gnu.org

From: Tatsuro MATSUOKA
Subject: Re: First 4.4.0 release candidate on alpha.gnu.org
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2018 19:38:50 +0900 (JST)

----- Original Message -----
> From: John W. Eaton <address@hidden>
> To: Tatsuro MATSUOKA <address@hidden>; Octave Maintainers List
> <address@hidden>
> Date: 2018/4/12, Thu 10:59
> Subject: Re: First 4.4.0 release candidate on alpha.gnu.org
>
> On 04/11/2018 05:28 PM, Tatsuro MATSUOKA wrote:
>
>>  I propose to add 7zip archive one for windows binaries due to much higher
> compession ability than zip archive.
>
> As an additional option, or to replace the zip archive?

For 4.0.x, I unofficially distributed 64bit windows binary only in 7zip.
However, I targeted  at the time power users on windows.
For preliminary users on windows only can only handle zip archive, I think.

Therefore I vote to an additional option.

> Will this utility work to produce the files?  I need something that runs on
> my
> Debian build system and that is free software.
>
>   https://packages.debian.org/stretch/p7zip

I use 7za on Cygwin and Msys2.

p7zip is Unix version of 7zip
https://sourceforge.net/projects/p7zip/