Re: rc-4-3-91: configure problem with qt4 / qcollectiongenerator

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: rc-4-3-91: configure problem with qt4 / qcollectiongenerator
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2018 13:52:34 -0700

On Sat, Apr 21, 2018 at 22:26:21 +0200, Julien Bect wrote:
> I fixed the problem by installing qt4-dev-tools, but I think that it reveals
> a bug in configure:
>
> configure:71344: checking for qcollectiongenerator-qt4
> configure:71374: result: no
> configure:71445: checking for qcollectiongenerator
> configure:71461: found /usr/bin/qcollectiongenerator
> configure:71472: result: qcollectiongenerator

The bug is that qtchooser installs itself as qcollectiongenerator even
when the actual executable is not installed under /usr/lib/.../qt4/bin:

>   GEN      doc/interpreter/octave_interpreter.qch
> qcollectiongenerator: could not exec
> '/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt4/bin/qcollectiongenerator': No such file or
> directory

In other words, the qtchooser tool considers Qt to be a monolithic
entity, while Debian and Ubuntu packaging separate the various utilities
into different subpackages.

Octave's configure correctly detects that there is a valid executable at
/usr/bin/qcollectiongenerator, and it assumes that it will be able to
use this executable when building.

If you think this needs to be fixed, please reopen or comment on bug
#53408.

I do not think it is important to fix for the 4.4 release.

--
mike