Re: Octave.app 4.4.0 RC1 available for testing

From: Andrew Janke
Subject: Re: Octave.app 4.4.0 RC1 available for testing
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2018 21:08:21 -0400

I wish I had time to return to supporting Octave. I am appreciative of each of
your efforts.

Thank you!

I don’t think there is a proper solution for supporting oct-files with
different app-bundles. Maybe the equivalent of a usr/local/bin could be added
to the app to allow oct-files to be installed within the bundle? (not ideal,
but it would allow different apps to coexist and run oct-files of the same
name).

That sounds similar to what we're doing for packages. We are re-pointing "pkg prefix" at '~/Library/Application Support/Octave.app/<version>/pkg', so there's a separate dedicated installation location for each version of Octave.app. (And pkg takes care of installing octfiles to different architecture-specific subdirs under each package.)

You want these under ~/Library/Application Support/<app> instead of the actual app bundle, to avoid breaking app bundle signing, and to fit in with OS X's file hierarchy conventions.

This would need Octave to add a notion of a default installation location for octfiles, and make it configurable. Right now, they're just dropped in the same directory as their source file, and it is up to the user to manage their installation and addition to the Octave path.

(But then again, that's basically what pkg does, right, with some additional infrastructure?)

I personally don't think this is a high priority, since oct files and multiple Octave installs are a more advanced use case, and https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/index.php?53627 will take care of some of the portability issues. I'd prefer to just wait and see what happens there before trying to introduce other mechanisms to handle this.

Cheers,
Andrew