Re: step by step guide to update code in a package

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: step by step guide to update code in a package
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2018 11:05:52 -0700

On Wed, Aug 15, 2018 at 18:43:43 +0530, octavecontrib wrote:
> > The Next Step would be to show the maintainers of the control package, me
> > being one of them your ideas and get it approved.
> *Do I do that via this mailing list or via the the patch tracker ? (I will
> have to sign up for it then)*

I highly recommend all changes be sent via the bug/patch trackers. If
someone emails me directly, I ask them to file a bug report. But each
Octave Forge developer is free to use or ignore the bug tracker.

> I will go through the 'make all' for 'signal' package to get an idea of how
> to generate PKG_ADD file for control also.

That looks like an easy first contribution for you.

> > You could try 'make run OCTAVE="octave --gui"' to see if that helps get
> > the workflow that you want.
> That didnt work for me since the gui started up in the last opened
> directory and so the '--path inst' and '--path src' were not visible to
> Octave. So they were not added in the path.

This might be worth fixing by using a correct absolute path.

> > Even in command line mode, Octave should still allow you to use figures
> > and user interface controls.
> Octave showed the figure as an 'ascii art' instead of opening a regular
> window.

Ok, maybe the control package is running 'octave -W' or similar. In the
signal package 'make run' allows normal figures to be used.

So I see at least two or three bugs in the control package top-level
Makefile that you might want to help fix, in addition to the original
patch that you intended to contribute.

--
mike