Re: Help needed to update our use of OpenGL

From: Pantxo Diribarne
Subject: Re: Help needed to update our use of OpenGL
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2018 09:30:21 +0200

I never programmed anything in modern OpenGL, so I can't really help, but if such restructuring should happen I'd be happy to discuss the opportunity of
abstracting our current opengl_renderer into something more general, say
base_render. The latter would be "rendering technology agnostic" (actual
drawing and property changes are done in pure virtual functions) and would serve as a base for the opengl_renderer and eventually for any kind of 2D-3D renderer someone may want to implement (I was thinking about qt_renderer,
cairo_renderer for 2D printing).
Yes, I think this kind of refactoring would be good.  We could also move in this direction independently of updating our use of OpenGL.

jwe

Yes, and I already gave it a shot independently a few month ago but got lost quite early when trying to make a general interface for glCallList, which happens to be one of the features we will have to reimplement when switching to modern OpenGL API. That is why I am under the impression that the two goals are not completely independent.

Pantxo