Re: Post-release bug database clean up

From: Pantxo
Subject: Re: Post-release bug database clean up
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2019 15:49:24 -0600 (CST)

Rik-4 wrote
> There are a bunch of bugs that probably refer to old versions of Octave,
> with old versions of hardware that no longer exist, etc.
>
> How do we want to handle these?  I know some code projects just go through
> and close all bugs related to older versions.  That might be a little
> extreme for us, but I still think a lot of these could be culled.  An
> alternative proposal would be to respond on the various old bug reports
> asking the original reporter to re-test with either the RC2 candidate or
> the 5.1 release when it is out.  If no response in some amount of time (1
> week?) then just close the report?
>
> Either way, this culling is a lot of work and if others could help
> identify
> these bugs and get them started on the path towards closure that would
> help.
>
> --Rik
>
> Here are some ones that I found
>
> Owner: ??? #55053 <https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?55053> GUI hanging
> when
> editing and saving function file during debugging
> Owner: ??? #54708 <https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?54708> Segfault
> closing
> plot fig on precompiled octave on Mojave
> Owner: ??? #54507 <https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?54507> Segfault in
> QT5
> when resizing window during initialization
> Owner: ??? #54431 <https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?54431> GUI crashes
> on
> workspace refresh while executing script
> Owner: ??? #53207 <https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?53207> crash when
> Octave
> starts on Windows after removing external 4K display
> Owner: ??? #53115 <https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?53115> "octave
> exited
> with signal 6" on attempt to stop debugging
> Owner: ??? #52996 <https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?52996> calling
> audiodevinfo() results in a segfault on exit when JACK sound server is
> running
> Owner: ??? #50430 <https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?50430> plot
> function
> causes crash/termination of Octave (Windows)
> Owner: ??? #50025 <https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?50025> Octave
> window
> freezes when I quit Octave GUI
> Owner: ??? #49758 <https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?49758> octave-cli
> crashes
> when closing fullscreen plot

At least the following should not be closed

Owner: ??? #50025 Octave window freezes when I quit Octave GUI

This one is active, many (if not all) Mac users experience this bug, and
IIUC the strange printf-patch that is included is useful for packagers that
want to build a workable Octave GUI.

Pantxo
is